I revealed a brand new e-book!
The e-book options the next description on the again cowl:
Since 2003, cybersecurity creator Richard Bejtlich has been publishing posts on TaoSecurity Weblog, a web site with 15 million views since 2011. Now, after re-reading over 3,000 tales and roughly a million phrases, he has chosen and republished the perfect entries from 17 years of writing, together with commentaries and extra materials.
Within the third quantity of the TaoSecurity Weblog sequence, Mr. Bejtlich addresses the evolution of his safety mindset, influenced by present occasions and recommendation from his so-called set of “smart individuals.” He talks about why velocity isn’t the important thing to John Boyd’s OODA loop, and why safety methods designed for and by the “safety 1%” could also be irrelevant at greatest, or dangerous at worst, for the remaining “99%”. His historical past part explores the origins of the phrases risk looking and indicators of compromise, and divulges who actually created the quote “there are two kinds of firms.” His chapter on regulation highlights traps which may catch safety groups, with recommendation to chief info safety officers.
This quantity comprises a few of Mr. Bejtlich’s favourite posts, akin to Marcus Ranum’s reply to what occurs when safety groups confront professionals, or how the Web continues to operate regardless of fixed challenges, or reactions to feedback by Dan Geer, Bruce Schneier, Marty Roesch, and different safety leaders. Mr. Bejtlich has written new commentaries to accompany every submit, a few of which might qualify as weblog entries in their very own proper. Learn how the safety trade, defensive methodologies, and techniques to enhance nationwide safety have developed on this new e-book, written by one of many authors who has seen all of it and survived to weblog about it.
Writing the Collection
For this new mission, I needed to publish “reflowable” (not print duplicate) Kindle editions, together with print variations, via Amazon.
I began the mission in September 2019 by labelling 300 or so out of the three,050 weblog posts as candidates for inclusion in a “better of” e-book. I shortly realized that “solely” 300 posts, plus new materials and commentary, would end in a really giant mission, so I made a decision to interrupt it into three volumes.
I created twelve classes and commenced sorting and commenting on the posts in March 2020. I made a decision to assign 4 classes to every quantity, with an “appendices” class for the final quantity if crucial.
I selected the 5.5 inch by 8.5 inch “assertion” print dimension because it was supported by Google Docs and was a regular print dimension for Amazon.
Ultimately I chosen virtually 375 posts for the e-book and commenced the actual work!
In whole, the mission resulted in 271,508 phrases over 1,271 pages, or about 214 phrases per web page.
Initially I needed so as to add just a few gadgets outdoors TaoSecurity Weblog to the third quantity, in a bit known as “Appendices.” As I found and picked up this materials, I noticed that including it could primarily double the dimensions of the third quantity. Because it was over 400 pages at the moment, I made a decision I’d save most of this materials for one more mission.
That different mission is Past TaoSecurity Weblog, Quantity 1: Columns, Papers, PhD Work, and Testimonies. For the time being, I consider I’ve a deal with on what to incorporate in that title. I do not count on to have a quantity 2, however I assumed it greatest to provide this a quantity quantity as I could have extra materials to publish sooner or later.
My purpose is to publish this “Past” e-book in the course of the subsequent few weeks — maybe throughout or after Thanksgiving.
I wrote this sequence of books as a result of I worry that this weblog has develop into too unwieldy for its personal good. Revisiting 17 years of posts, including commentaries, and gathering associated materials has helped me higher perceive my very own journey in safety. The brand new “Past” e-book reaches a bit farther previous the three weblog volumes and contains materials by no means earlier than revealed, primarily from my deserted PhD effort. I am going to have extra to say after I revealed that e-book earlier than the top of the yr.
network security monitoring (nsm),principal security strategist,the tao of network security monitoring pdf,tao of network security monitoring, the: beyond intrusion detection,tao security,security blogs,cyber security blog,dark reading information security,cyber security news sites,cyber security website