If you are seeking the perfect way to connect a dedicated server using Jenkins then you are in the right place. Here in this article, we have elaborated on how we can connect an Ubuntu dedicated server using a Jenkins automation server and also how to install a Jenkins server on Ubuntu dedicated server.
Before getting into the topic, let’s brush up
with some basics.
What is Jenkins?
Jenkins is an open-source automation server
that helps to carry the software development process not carried by the humans.
The specialty of Jenkins is its continuous integration and facilitating
technical aspects of continuous delivery. Additional hints 24×7 Outsource Support.
In technical words, this open-source
automation server is a Java coding and mainly used to test the continuous
delivery of the software, this is pretty handy for the developers to check and
do some integrated changes on their software.
Why Developers Prefer Jenkins on Host Server?
1. Timing Saving
The automated tool Jenkins saves a lot of time
and allows developers to concentrate more on other matters by managing all
those integration and testing operations with its automated build and testing
system of Jenkins.
2. Improves Software Quality
Since Jenkins is an automated system, it
automatically detects and fixes all those issues found in the newly developed
software in no time this leads towards a state where developers can release the
software at any time without worrying about the testing operation.
3. Fasten the Development Process
Jenkins takes care of those integration work
single-handedly as automated. This saves a lot of time and money for the
software makers and reduces the development time significantly.
4. Allows Developers to Focus only On
Jenkins allows developers to focus on
particular commit for testing instead of checking the entire source code of the
software. This allows developers to release several new software at a speedy
5. Automated Testing
Developers are required to do changes on the
commit of the source code and the automated Jenkins takes care of the testing
operation in automated mode.
How to Install Jenkins On Ubuntu Dedicated
Well, the initial step would be running a
Jenkins server on the ubuntu dedicated server followed by installing and
running the apache server which needs to configure in a reverse server proxy.
- Step 1: Make sure you have an updated dedicated server on your domain host server
- Step 2: Since Jenkins runs on Java you need Java Open JDK on your server. So contact your server admin and install Java with the apt command.
- Step 3: Before installing Jenkins on your host dedicated server, you need to add GPG Keys and Jenkins repository followed by the Debian package repository by referring the sources.list from your host server or by seeking help from your host admin.
- Step 4: Finally, ensure you have installed the latest app packages on your server and install the latest Jenkins version.
- Step 5: Once, it has done the open-source automated server Jenkins will start automatically. Make sure it works perfectly when you boot your system.
- Step 6: Once the installation is done, now we need to look over the other issues. Jenkins server specifically designed to run on port 8080. So you need to configure your server firewall accordingly and make sure the UFW is active else do it by enabling OpenSSH on your server.
Thanks, it, you have successfully installed
the open-source automated server Jenkins on your Ubuntu or a dedicated server
by following the aforementioned steps. Well, the upcoming section in this
article will illustrate how to configure the installed Jenkins on your host
How to Configuring Jenkins in a Dedicated server? Or Connecting Dedicated Server Using Jenkins
To connect your host dedicated server and to
configure Jenkins on your host server, you need to go to the port 8080 in which
the Jenkins works on your browser followed by your domain name and server IP
address. This is eventually would look like this http://your_ip_or_domain:8080.
- Once, the URL entered you need to unlock Jenkins by securely setting up the administration password which is supposed to be created during the installation process. Followed by which you will witness a screen on which you supposed to select the desired plug-ins for your site.
- Well, for installing plug-ins from the Jenkins you will be prompt with two options either to ‘install suggested plug-ins’ or to go with the ‘select plug-ins to install’.
- After you select the desired option, the installation will start automatically on the next page. The most preferred option would be ‘install suggested plug-ins’.
- Once, all those Jenkins plug-ins installed successfully the next page will suggest you create an admin account, where you need to provide the desired information and submit.
- Thereafter you need to set up the Jenkins instance URL and furthermore, you can visit Jenkins’s main dashboard where you can start using Jenkins.
Relatedfree jenkins hosting,jenkins deploy to remote server